UUpdate: This Sam post is one specific reason why I got back into blogging. I needed to write it down somewhere. It’s out there now.
I started blogging during my freshman year at Princeton (see category Princeton Days for a good laugh). I’ve been blogging on and off since then. About a year ago I started blogging on Dweebist.com. But that’s just random, entertaining videos and images. Nothing personal was ever there. So i’ll continue to update that blog but that’s different than a personal blog.
As for MickHagen.com, that’ll serve as an information page about me. Kinda boring I know. But as I “grow up” i’m sure it’ll be beneficial to have a place with just information about me.
You might be asking why? Why start blogging again?
A few reasons:
1) Sam Hagen was born. Ever since he was born i’ve been wanting to better document his journey as a growing boy and my journey as a learning dad. People get sick of me talking about him on Twitter. So I won’t do much there. But I will not constrain myself from talking about him here. I love him and i’m proud of him. This will be a perfect place to share my experiences of being a new dad.
2) Religion. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Yup, I’m a Mormon. Like my new son, this is something I am very proud of. I wanna be able to share teachings, thoughts and experiences here on this blog. It really is something that means a lot to me. And I don’t share it enough. I gave a lesson in church a few weeks ago about sharing the gospel online. Not only should I practice what I preach, but it’s something i’m honored and excited to do. I’ve done it in the past. Why not continue.
3) This is my journal. I used to write in a journal. But I hate writing (physically getting the pen to the paper). I also tried just putting my thoughts into a Microsoft Word Document. That didn’t really work either because it was very hard to organize. There perhaps are sacred, personal or special experiences that I still might write privately. But for the most part, my experiences and thoughts aren’t secret and don’t need to be. Perhaps people can learn from my experiences. Either way, some day i’ll look back at this and treat it as a “Book of Remembrance” of sorts. Sammy will see pictures of himself as a child and how he grew up. I think that’s special. My twitter feed is also good history.
4) Staying Updated. I think family members and friends might enjoy keeping up to date on what the Hagens are up to. Many are all over the world. I know my parents love their first grandson and wanna know what’s going on, see pictures, etc. They don’t live near us. So if the only people who read this blog are my parents, i’m fine with that. I want them to get to know their grandson Sammy.
5) About me, not you. All in all…I believe this blog will be of more benefit to me than to you. This is my family’s history. I’m just trying to document it. This is the easiest way I know how. The early posts (gotta click through to end pages) of when I was first dating my now wife — those are priceless to me. We look back at those and laugh, reminisce. Those are special. I wanna continue to have that with my wife, my son, and any future children. Looking back on special experiences and/or happy times can be an incredible source of energy, power and motivation. They can unite/strengthen relationships when times get tough. They bring back feelings that sometimes seem to be forgotten. They invoke emotions that sometimes go dormant.
You might not find this blog or its content the least bit interesting. That’s fine. I’ve promised not to look at stats and site traffic. This isn’t about that. This is about the above reasons. And none of those reasons involve/require obsessing over traffic.
This is my history. Welcome.